This season is all about savoring. Long days, lingering twilights, warm nights. [Summer Pairings, Profile Six]
June 11, 2021
We love the time and space summer gives us to slow down and enjoy the little things. Gathering, cooking, conversation, and of course, wine. We've put together some fun and delicious recipes for you. As always, we want to know what you think! Comment or drop us a note @drinkboxt or [email protected]
THAI CRUNCH SALAD WITH SHREDDED CHILI-LIME CHICKEN AND MANDARIN ORANGES
- 2 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 limes, juice of both, zest of 1
- 1 white or yellow onion, sliced into 1 inch rounds
- 1 tablespoon paprika, sweet not smoked
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil cooking
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 mandarin oranges, peeled and chopped
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup shaved almonds
- 1 cup wonton strips (We like Whole Foods 365 brand organic wonton strips)
- 2.5 Tablespoon soy or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 2.5 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1.25 Tablespoon lime juice
- 5 teaspoon peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon sambal paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- Heat a heavy bottom pan, like a cast iron, on medium-high heat with 1 tbsp olive oil. **Searing the chicken is OPTIONAL, but it does help to lock in moisture and will speed up cook time**
- Combine the paprika, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder in a small mixing bowl. Then add the seasoning mixture to the chicken evenly on both sides.
- Sear the chicken on each side for 1-2 minutes. Then line the bottom of the slow cooker with the onion. Place the chicken in the slow cooker and top with lime zest and juice, cook on high for 2.5 hours. Alternatively, you can cook it on low for 4-5 hours.
- When chicken is ready, remove from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Place the chicken back in the slow cooker with juices, and cook on low for an additional 15-20 minutes. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker with tongs or a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all salad ingredients and add cooled chicken.
- Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss until coated.
HOISIN GLAZED PORK CHOPS
- 4 Pork chops, boneless (about 2 lbs)
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoon Sesame oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon Ginger minced
- 1/3 cup Hoisin sauce
- 2 Tablespoon Rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon Water
- In a small sauce pan set over medium heat, simmer the garlic, ginger, hoisin, rice vinegar and water, whisking occasionally until the mixture is fully combined, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Lightly salt pork chops. Heat the sesame oil in a large skillet over high heat. Once oil is smoking, place the pork chops in the skillet, cook without turning until well browned, 4-6 minutes on each side (adjust timing based on how thick your pork chop is). When an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 135°F, remove the pork chops from the pan. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes.
- Serve with hoisin sauce drizzled over top.
- 4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 Tablespoons butter (¼ C + 2 Tbsp)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk (or non dairy substitute, we like hemp, pea and macadamia milks)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Slice butter into pieces and add to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Place the pan in the oven while it preheats, to allow the butter to melt. Once melted, remove the pan from the oven.
- Add blueberries, sugar and zest to a bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl mix together the batter ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, just until combined.
- Pour blueberries over melted butter in pan. Drizzle batter over the top. Sprinkle with a little bit of cinnamon.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 35-40 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.
- Serve warm, with a scoop of ice cream, if desired!