Recipe: Beef Stock
January 10, 2021
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2-4 hours
- 4-5 pounds of mixed beef bones*
- 1 Tablespoon salt (or more to taste)
- 8-10 C water
- 1 medium onion, cut in half - you don’t even need to pull the skin off
- 1 clove garlic (optional, or you can add more to taste) - no need to remove skin
- 1 California bay leaf
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1-2 stalks celery
- 1-2 carrots
- Place all ingredients in a stock pot, Dutch oven or pressure cooker. In a pressure cooker, set to soup setting, or if using a stock pot or Dutch oven, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 4 hours.
- Let cool slightly. Remove ingredients from broth with a slotted spoon. Strain broth through a fine sieve into large canning jars. Use immediately or store refrigerated for up to 10 days.
*Joints and marrowy bones are best with some meat still on them.